Saturday 14 July 2012

Tsukiji Sushi Sen Asakusa Tokyo

Tsukiji Sushi Sen is a 24 hour 3 floor Sushi Bar in Asakusa that we passed earlier in the day and later just had to go in when we spotted it again later on.






We first chose 4 seared (Horse, Flounder, Halibut and Beef) and 3 raw (Salmon plus two cuts of Tuna, Akami and Chu-Toro) Nigiri Sushi. These were all truly beautiful, but the Horse Nigiri was a standout for me with a rich mouthfeel and oily in a good way texture as you chew it.


Very fragrant Light Soy Sauce and not bright pink, but crisp Pickled Ginger made us realise we hadn't really had a proper full on Sushi experience before. Perfect execution, ingredients and simplicity really makes it.


More, more, more please!






Next up, two Ebi Nigiri and Gunboat Uni. We felt we didn't really get enough Uni in this one bite to figure out what the fuss was, but we're both happy to persevere!


The Raw Shrimp was my next big revelation in this meal, I now collect the little Pink Shrimps that appear in the creels occasionally at home in Scotland and have these peeled raw just with good Light Soy Sauce, a new addiction.






So just to really be pigs we made one last order, with another order of the chilled Sake which I was so taken with that I took an image of the label with the ambitious hopes of recognising it again, not having much luck with that so far.....






So the last plate was Gunboat Octopus, too crunchy whilst also being slimy for me, OH was marginally keener than me. One more Ebi Nigir (yum) plus Horse Nigiri raw and seared. Wow, the Horse meat was even better raw, now I want this all the time.


This was unbelievably good, my best meal in Tokyo so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment